viernes, 16 de mayo de 2014

Imperative Form






Imperative form is really easy. It works in second person. That is, it talks directly to YOU with no politeness nor kindness. 

As its name states, imperative form is a command without much diplomacy.

So, whenever you want to give orders to someone, use the imperative form.

The imperative form is also used for instructions or informal invitations
The structure of the imperative form is this:

(+)
Go home
Do the dishes
Get up
Talk to me
Listen carefully
Fasten your seat belts
Turn your cellphone off
Drive carefully



(-)
Don't stop me now
Don't walk away
Don't speak
Don't tell me what to do!


Stop                                        in  the name of love
(Verb in its base form)   +      (Agreement).




 "Stop in the name of Love" Glee version  
"Stop in the name of Love" Original version by the Supremes, 1965. This song appeared ages ago. The gorgeous Diana Ross was debuting by the time as a singer.

Before Beyoncé there were Diana Ross and Donna Summer ;)


 





 
"Don't Stop Me Now" Queen, 1978.
This is another great song with imperative form, sung by marvellous Freddy Mercury (His real name was Frederick Bulsara. Frederick Bulsara was born in South Africa, not in London).





The imperative form works only in simple present tense. We don't use imperative form in the past nor in the future. For these tenses we use other structures


Past

I told my sister to call me

I told my sister not to call me



Present Perfect


I have given instructions to my people to be happy

I have told my students not to miss classes





Future


I will ask my friends to take me to that concert

I will tell my dad not to buy me candies because I'm on a diet


It is possible to say

Do go home
Do finish your homework
Do study for the panel
Do behave


But this is only to be emphatic: that is, to stress on your command.

Do's and Don'ts for Wildlife photography 




Do's and Don's for the Paleolithic diet


 The Paleo Diet Official Website



Do's and Don'ts in a Job Interview 




Do's and Don'ts for the Ramadan



http://www.whatisramadan.com/ What is the Ramadan?






Do's and Don'ts for riding bicycle in town


 




Do's and Don'ts in LIFE









More information and exercises for practice:

http://assets.cambridge.org/97805217/27204/excerpt/9780521727204_excerpt.pdf

http://www.englishgrammarsecrets.com/imperative/menu.php



Personally, this is my favorite grammar form in English. Maybe I could be a control freak, lol




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario